Thursday, June 30, 2011

Best Recipe EVER - Cake in a Mug

pilfered pic but I promise it works!!
As a general rule, I try to avoid keeping sweet treats around the house because I have no willpower when it comes to portion control and baked goods.  Unfortunately, this does not stop me from DYING for dessert after dinner most days.  On nights when I absolutely can't shake the craving, we'll take a walk to pinkberry or the supermarket, and I'll choose something single serve that I can enjoy and forget. 

Last night, I discovered what may be my new evening salvation (or a serious addiction).

YOU CAN MAKE CAKE IN THE MICROWAVE, IN A COFFEE MUG, IN 60 SECONDS.

I was totally skeptical - but it was the EASIEST thing ever, and produced a perfect individual cake!

Here's how you make it:

In a mug, combine 2 tablespoons water, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, a pinch of salt and a few drops vanilla extract.  Whisk well.

Add in 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, whisk again.

Add 3 tablespoons sugar, back to whiskin'.

Finally, add 2 tablespoons flour, one more whisk!

VOILA!  Your batter is done.  Toss the mug in the microwave for 60-70 seconds depending on whether you like your baked goods "molten" in the middle or thoroughly done.  ENJOY! 

I must admit that a review I read described this cake as very "heavy".  She recommended a bit less sugar and a bit less flower, and I took that advice.  Mine came out great.

I would absolutely consider making these for guests.  You could dress them up by prepping in a small, microwave safe bowl and adding a little ice cream or caramel and nuts.

 Good trick.  Good day!  Till tomorrow...

No comments: