Friday, October 12, 2012

Guess Who's Back?

I keep meaning to come back to this blog...  I talk about it and think about it.  I just haven't DONE it.  I think it's mostly because I'm ashamed of my 365 days of posts failure.  If you're just tuning in, I set a goal on the eve of my 29th birthday to write one post every day until I turned 30.  I think I made it about 6 weeks?  That might be generous!

It was supposed to motivate me not to squander my youth and to try many new things.  Make no mistake - I kept VERY busy - I just stopped sharing the experiences daily. 

In retrospect, I think maybe it was for the best.  I catch myself all the time - so busy with the business of documenting my life that I forget the business of living it.  At times I feel like if I don't instagram this or tweet that - if I don't check-in - it never really happened. 

We had this exact conversation at my book club recently (Selection: I Remember Nothing by Nora Ephron - highly recommend).  In her opening essay Nora (we're on a first-name basis) talks about how she was present for countless significant moments in history, but can't recall the experiences with any detail.  In discussion we decided that we pack our lives with these moments, hoping to create some sort of meaning, only to have them disappear into oblivion later.  Understandably, there's something about that that doesn't sit well with us as a species.  I think maybe our generation has learned to cope by documenting it all...  Uploading everything to a cloud where it can't be lost and forgotten.

Make no mistake, I'm truly glad that I have a handful of mobile uploads to supplement my memories of a jam-packed year, but maybe the holes in coverage really serve as evidence that I succeeded at living.  It shows that I looked at one more gorgeous view of the Manhattan skyline, savoured one more delicious meal, and had one more laugh with a friend where my face wasn't buried in a viewfinder or my smartphone.

With that being said - and on a totally unrelated note... I just realized it's my PAULA-VERSARY!!!  See: The Holy Grail  What better occassion to get back into writing?

It's been nearly a year since my last post of any substance, and it was substantial indeed.  Ms. Deen has been through it this year, but I must say that I still love her.  My fan-ship is unwavering.  Take that, Anthony Bourdain!


Looking forward to sharing (and sometimes not sharing) my daily musings again.

XO -
HoneY




No comments: