Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day 363 - Treat Self to a Slightly Overpriced Mani/Pedi

Complimentary "Girls Night Out" Cosmo @ Dashing Diva
So... my nails don't look the greatest here (the shot is pre-manicure) but I am very happy to cross the Dashing Diva experience off my list!

I'm not sure why this chain has intrigued me for so long.  Maybe it's all the pink.  Maybe the DD exclusive line of polish choices.  Maybe (and most likely) the promise of a free cosmo with a Thursday evening treatment.

By contrast, what I've been held back by are the prices.  Most of us know that nails are one of the few bargains to be had in this city, and I've typically opted for the last minute quick-and-dirty variety.  Here and there, though, I think it's a nice thing to treat yourself.  And at $50, pre-tip, it's not like we're talking about TOO extravagant a spend.

The divas threw in a handful of extras that make the evening feel a little special.  In addition to the aforementioned cocktail, you're asked to choose an essential oil for use on your hands and feet.  I chose lavender while my roommate went with peppermint.  These were deliciously aromatic and R also got an "invigorating" tingle from her choice.  The atmosphere of in the salon was also a big plus for me.  Shamefully, I'm still one big Barbie-loving moth drawn to a pink-on-pink flame.

Was it the best mani/pedi I've ever had?  Doubtful.  Overall, the treatments were a bit shorter than some I've had in less flashy salons.  I also felt like the techs were a little aggressive with pushing pricier treatments and add-ons.  My nails do look great, but only time will tell how they'll stand up to a weekend at the beach!

The point of this experiment, though, is not to love love love everything I try.  I might even hate some of it.  The point is to cross off as many of those "things I've always wanted to do" and "things people say you must see" as I can while I have the time and freedom to do them.  I think tonight's experience certainly fits that bill! 

Were this not enough for day 363, the roommate and I also went for dinner at Seven's Turkish Grill post treatment.  I tried several new dishes including zucchini pancakes and something called "yogurtlu adana kebab".  It basically amounted to ground lamb kebab over delicious homemade croutons soaked in a yogurt sauce.  All pretty tasty - I'd definitely order each again.


Here's hoping the double whammy yesterday makes up for my probable lack of any major excitement today.  I'll be flying South!  Can't wait to see what kinds of sunshine filled adventures I can find.

Finished Toes (with a little beachy hipster photo adjustment)

No comments: