Tuesday, February 22, 2011

365 Days of 20-Somethings

One of 10 Yellow Tulips given to me by my co-workers today. =)
Today is my 29th birthday.  This means that I have exactly 365 days left as a 20-something.

They say that 30 is only the beginning, but I see it as a major milestone toward "real" adulthood.  You can't be a 30-something and be all without direction and "finding yourself" and mess.  Or, more precisely, I don't want to be.  At the same time, I'm not sure I'm ready to give up those freedoms.

My solution: find something fun/exciting/new/scary/challenging/eye opening/beautiful in every day for the next 365 days.  Some days this may be major.  Some days this may be tame.  Either way, it's a way of holding myself accountable.  A way to make sure I don't squander these remaining days of my youth.

So today, day 1, I'm taking the time to appreciate all the amazing people I've had the pleasure of crossing paths with in life.  From the co-workers who surprised me with cake and flowers to my uncle who mustered the strength for a phone call just one week after heart surgery.  Those people who I may not have spoken to in a decade, but who took time to write "Happy Birthday" on my facebook wall.  I have had a very pleasant day reminiscing about my memories with them all.  Small as the gesture may be, I feel so lucky and humbled to have had the opportunity to learn something from each of these amazing and unique people.

In kind, I will be spending my evening with some of my great friends here in New York.  Indian food, BYO vino, and great company.  A great kickoff to what may prove to be the greatest year yet!

No comments: