Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Countdown # 357 - Celebrate Dr. Seuss' Birthday

Green Eggs & Ham cups

It's no secret that I like really really idolize Paula Deen.  If I could, I would make her some sort of relative or in-law or my BFF.  I follow Paula on twitter and often come across some gem recipes that way.

Today, in honor of Dr. Seuss' posthumous birthday, it was Paula's Green Eggs & Ham Cups. I didn't have any better ideas about how to fully experience the day, so I decided to go with it.  Breakfast for dinner!!  It was the most simple recipe ever, and I think would be something really great for kids.

You simply line muffin tins with thin sliced deli ham, then fill with bread, a spinach/egg/seasoning blend, and cheese.  Bake for about 15-20 minutes and voila!!  A fancier-than-food-color version of green eggs and ham.  And I have to say it was quite delicious.

She recommends serving with toast and bacon.  I think this would be a bit greasy/Atkins-y for me without the bread.  Next time I'd probably go full-out Southern and make biscuits for the side.  And PS that's my attempt at gravy on the toast.  I can NEVER get it right, and I've tried a few times.  If anybody has tips on making the kind that doesn't come from a packet, let me know!  =)

Also - you'll notice there is no post yesterday - but I did not skip!!  #358 was "Pull an All Nighter".  We left our hotel in Orlando around 1:45 am and I came straight to work.  Needless to say I was not exactly up to blogging.  STILL COUNTS!!  

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun, and fun is good." - Dr. Seuss

No comments: