Thursday, March 3, 2011

#356 - Adventures in Korea Town

Banchan at Seoul Garden
One of my favorite places to take visitors to New York is Korea Town.  A close friend from home introduced me to Korean food (homemade) and I've been on a quest for something like it ever since. 

Compared to some of the other ethnic districts in the city, K-Town seems quite meager.  It's really just a couple of blocks on 32nd street starting around Macy's and going East.  This may be because you aren't looking upward.  Many of the real gems are found on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th floors of these residential-looking walk-up buildings. 

My boyfriend had seen an article in Time Out New York about a mixed seafood soup at one such place and wanted to try it out.  We met in K-Town after work and ascended several flights of stairs to Seoul Garden.

We were seated in a rather empty restaurant, but within minutes the place was packed.  BF ordered his TONY recommended soup - "Combination Soon Tofu".  I got Bulgogi Dolsot Bibim Bop".  Both came out in sizzling bowls and were super hot temperature wise.  I decided to heat mine up in spiciness too with a few extra dollops of sriracha. 

I have to say - that this was the closest thing I've had to the original so far!  It was really tasty and fairly priced.  I'm also a sucker for the location, because it feels so much like you're in on a delicious secret.

While I've been to K-Town many times before, I'm so glad I tried this new spot.  It will definitely be a go-to in the future.

No comments: